1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 medium carrots, sliced
½ cup uncooked elbow macaroni
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender.
• Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni and oregano. Cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20 minutes.
• Stir in spinach and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
• Optional: add a cup of seasonal favorites (fresh asparagus, mushrooms or a garden favorite to mix it up and add some fun!)
• Sprinkle each serving with parmesan and serve with breadsticks.
• Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 125, Protein: 8 g, Fat: 1.5 g, Carbohydrate: 22 g, Fiber: 5.5 g, Sugar: 4 g, Sodium: 270 mg