-1 ½ pounds winter squash (butternut, acorn, hubbard or turban)
-2 cloves garlic, chopped
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-1/4 tsp salt
-4 large shallots, peeled and chopped
-1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
-4 cups low sodium chicken broth
-2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut squash in half and remove seeds and fiber. Remove peel and cut the flesh into 1 inch cubes.
3. Combine the squash, garlic, olive oil, salt, shallots and ginger in a roasting pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
4. In a blender, combine half of the squash mixture with 1 cup of chicken broth and blend until smooth. Place mixture in a large saucepan. Repeat with the last half of the squash mixture.
5. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Top with chives and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 160, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sodium: 292 mg