1 cup (about 5 ounces) whole wheat orzo
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, plus more for the pasta
2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
4 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 lemons
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
• Fill the skillet 2/3rds of the way with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
• Add the orzo and cook according package instructions until it’s al dente.
• Drain and set aside, transfer to a bowl, and toss with a little vegetable or canola oil.
• Wipe out skillet and return to medium high heat. Add oil and heat until shimmering.
• Add garlic and chili flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute.
• Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat the asparagus.
• Cook until the asparagus is tender but retains a crisp bite, 3 to 4 minutes.
• Move the asparagus to the sides of the pan and add the shrimp. Cook, turning shrimp occasionally, until pink and opaque, about 4 minutes total.
• Add the orzo back to the pan, stirring to combine, along with most of the basil, the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil and feta.
• Toss to combine, allow orzo to heat through, season to taste with more salt and pepper as desired, and serve immediately, topped with remaining basil.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 286, Protein: 30 g, Fat: 9 g, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 4 g, Sodium: 302 mg